10 October 2012

Wednesday in Progress: Welcoming the Monsters In

Meaning my writing, not welcoming you, the reader. Of course, I am welcoming you to read. Boy, that's getting confusing...

I like writing about monsters, particularly ones that (I hope) readers will like. I'm also intrigued by the monsters inside people. I even call myself a monster (but that's for another post).

So, here we are. Welcome.

DISCLAIMER:
All excerpts within this blog are unedited, unpolished pieces of poo. I have no idea how much of it will be in the final draft, but the work is still mine - so I would like a polite and respectful request if you'd like to reprint something from here. Please ask first. I'm pretty accommodating.

Secondly, as real as I'm trying to write this, it is still a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places are used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to those persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Lastly, feel free to give your opinions, critiques, accolades, and fangirl/boy'ing - I'll take it all. However, I reserve the right to delete any comments as I see fit. Mainly, if you're rude and vulgar without any good reason, you will not be welcome here. Keep your shirts on and we'll all be good.

Okay! Onwards!

 Summary: A rash of kidnappings. A race of magical creatures existing in secret. A young girl discovers the connection between them and aligns herself to save her fellow humans.

my monsters hide in daylight's plain view - waiting
Initially, this was going to be a YA novel - but after the second book, my main character is going to be well past her teens. She does start off at the "tender age" of 14.

I don't necessarily think adults want to read about teen girls, either, but I don't want to get trendy and try and pitch this as "New Adult".

Of course, the words ring in my ears, Just write it. So I shall.

Currently, I have no title (and my working title drives me up the wall) but I have a lot of notes and snippets of the book already written. My first act has structure, but it needs a hell of a lot of work and I'm trying to duct tape the mouth of my Inner Critic shut so I can do that.

The plan is that on Wednesdays, I'll let you into my brain (scary!) as I'm writing - share some notes and insight, maybe how I go about creating my characters and scenes, etc., etc. Whatever puzzle I'm working out in my WIP, I will share. One Wednesday a month, I intend to give folks a bit of the actual manuscript - in highly unpolished form. It should be fun, eh?

Your turn! In this case, I would love your feedback or even just a "keep writing" sort of cheer. I'm not picky. If you like, please share your own work/links so I can have a gander at what you write!

No comments:

Post a Comment