13 September 2011

I Got Nothing But Bad Habits

Going on holiday does help unscramble the brains – as long as the holiday has moments of rest and reflection in between all the headless-chicken activities. This time, we had more rest which turned out to be a good thing. It gave me more time to realise that I give all my free-time away and I've run out of excuses not to write. That last one is more or less a revelation, because I always knew I gave my free-time to everyone else. It isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but it does mean that I put myself last in my laundry list of Things I Need To Do.

There is definitely a need here – mostly a want, but as the year's gone by (two years?) the fact that I have no bulk of writing material at the ready for submission turns this into a desperate need. I have bits and pieces – a few one act plays, half a story or two (and a novel that makes my heart palpitate due to heady research needs and recent missed opportunities) – but I've gone a whole year (at least) without really working this passion I keep telling myself I have.

I am easily distracted and convince myself not to write. “I'm too tired,” I tell myself once I get out of my straight job. “I already get up at butt o'clock normally! I can't get up any earlier!” I say as all the popular writing blogs/people tell us to get up 30 minutes, 40 minutes, an hour before your day starts. Write then! “I'll write later, I need some 'me time',” my most notorious tagline as I spend way too much time in the soul-sucking universe that is Facebook.

Starting this week, I'm going to break my bad (writing) habits – at least one or two to start. Yesterday I couldn't convince myself out of bed, but here I am – Tuesday morning and writing! I had even managed to get up this early on Sunday and write a bit. There is always hope.

Who knows where all this bad habit breaking could lead? What are/were your bad habits and how are you/did you break them?

No comments:

Post a Comment